Wednesday, February 20, 2013

SORRY GUEST YOU CAN STAY BUT YOUR ROOM MUST GO


After much contemplation, I've finally gotten down to what I hope is my true calling. Decorating homes. And I'm starting with mine. Of course it's a slow process, but it's something I'm falling madly in love with. Especially waking up every morning excited about something. 

Anyway, enough sop. Let me get to the point. Basically, I was getting tired of the guest room in my house. The carpet was a piss pool for Zara and it was a dull, drab room with nothing going for it except potential. Especially the furniture! But the great thing about the room ... its flooring. Dreamy and deliciously wooden. 

The Room. Before.
contd...
The first thing I did was get the net windows removed, to make way for blinds. Here's a swatch of all the fabrics I used. Mostly from Calcutta, few from here.

And basically with this began the process. Looking for carpenters, upholsterers, fabric godowns (because I ran out of fabric I bought from Cal and literally hunted down places which had the exact stuff. Not a risk I'm willing to take again.)

Here's the sofa...  The carpenter who constructed the frame kept calling me Medum Zi. Love it!
Under construction


Once the sofa was done, the piss-rug removed, I needed to revamp some really nice Louis xv style antique armchairs that I acquired. Again, from Calcutta. That took some time because I didn't want to put regular damask or striped fabrics on them. Anyway, that's a different subject which I'll write about shortly. 

So basically, with the new rug, lampshade, cushions, blinds, and the armchairs... this is how the room's been taking shape. The picture frames need to go up on the wall and I'm waiting on a coffee table, a side table, an entertainment unit and a small console table. And I guess that should be it. But I'll  play it by ear. If you've reached this far, firstly, thank you, and secondly, please let me know what you think. If you have any suggestion, I'd be happy to know. Especially if they're of some good shops for fabrics in Delhi! I'm tired of the same D Decor books they plonk on your lap in each and every store. I'm expecting my good friends to share this on their own walls. And the rest, you can share it too, but I'm happy that you read it at all. Until next time...
Floor pillows. Great addition to any room!

Zara waiting for opportune moment on the carpet.

Blinding process.

Le view.

I don't know why the toes.

Zara is everywhere!


I <3 Chevron.

Louis would be happy.

That's my hand there. And my handiwork everywhere.

Quite like the frames there too.

Please notice, I have discovered Zara's hiding place.


Trays! My newest obsession.


2 comments:

  1. very homelike
    very youlike
    i like

    next room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The next room is the dining room... Although its in no fixed order. Have begun the living room as well...

    ReplyDelete